GENERAL INFORMATION FOR VISITORS
What is HIMB and how can I do research there?
The Hawaiʻi Institute of Marine Biology is a world-renowned research facility located on Moku o Loʻe, also known as Coconut Island, in Kāneʻohe Bay. Staying at the research institute provides an incredible opportunity for studying marine processes in the water with coral reefs just outside your door. If you are interested in coming to HIMB as a visiting researcher or student, please note that all visiting researchers and students must have an HIMB Sponsor. Please contact and secure approval from a sponsor before you proceed in making any arrangements for your visit. A list of potential sponsors can be found on the Faculty page.
How do I get research space and housing?
Once you have received approval from an HIMB sponsor, you can apply for research space. If you are interested in staying on the island, you can also apply for housing.
- Visit the Housing page to view all housing options, then make your reservations through our online reservations system. If you have any questions about your reservations, contact the Visiting Researcher Program Coordinator.
- Fill out the following forms:
- Application for HIMB Housing
- Application for Research Facilities
- Visitor Waiver/Release Forms
- Have your sponsor submit a Visitor Report Form, stating the dates of your visit, to the HIMB office at least three (3) days prior to your arrival.
- Please contact your sponsor with all questions regarding research facilities.
- If you will be collecting any aquatic life or using otherwise prohibited fishing gear, you will need a collecting permit. Please contact your sponsor for more information about obtaining a permit.
- Please note the time difference between Hawaiʻi and your location when coordinating your visit (e.g., HST is EST-6 h during daylight savings).
How do I get there?
You will want to fly into Honolulu International Airport, airport code HNL. From there, you have a few options to get to the island.
- Take a bus. The bus stops at the airport and can take you all the way to the Windward Mall(1 mile/2 km from HIMB’s Lilipuna pier) for $2.50(exact change needed). From the mall, a shuttle van can pick you up during regular business hours. There are several routes that get you from the airport to transfer locations; you will take the route 55 or route 65 bus the rest of the way to the Windward Mall.
- Take a taxi/Uber/Lyft to our parking lot at 62-007 Lilipuna Road in Kāneʻohe, HI 96744. It’s about 14 miles/23 km from the airport.
- Rent a car. Note that there is no parking available for you here, so you’ll have to rely on street parking. Space is limited on Lilipuna Rd. and vehicles being broken into is not uncommon.
What do I do when I arrive?
If you get to the pier during normal business hours, you can walk to the shuttle boat dock and a friendly boat driver will shuttle you to the island. Once you arrive, consult the map to get where you need to be.