Undergraduate & Graduate Opportunities
Undergraduate students may conduct research at HIMB in association with HIMB faculty. HIMB does not award undergraduate degrees, however, undergraduate students do participate in research projects. If you are interested in becoming a student at UH Mānoa, please contact the following departments for additional information:
Although HIMB does not have a formal undergraduate research internship program, individual faculty members may have space in their labs for undergraduate students.
Students who are interested in conducting research at HIMB should contact an HIMB faculty member whose research programs align with their interests. Faculty members who have an opportunity for undergraduates will be contact students directly for further information and/or an interview.
Please fill out the Undergraduate Research Questionnaire once you have found an appropriate program.
HIMB does not award graduate degrees, however, graduate students are able to be advised by HIMB faculty through one of the following graduate programs at UH Manoa:
- Marine Biology Graduate Program
- Oceanography Graduate Program
- Zoology Graduate Program
- Cell and Molecular Biology Graduate Program
- Molecular Biosciences and Bioengineering
- Microbiology Graduate Program
HIMB Student Scholarships
Each fall semester, applications are accepted from graduate and undergraduate students that are currently conducting research or working on lab projects under the direction of an HIMB faculty member.
The 2019 HIMB scholarship application period is open from September 10 – October 6th. Applications period will close October 6th, 11:59 pm.
The scholarships & funds available this year include:
- Colonel Willys E. Lord, DVM and Sadina L. Lord Scholarship Fund
- Carol Ann and Myron K Hayashida HIMB Student Support
- Dr. Paul Jokiel Memorial Endowed Scholarship
- Alan Church Environmental Steward SOEST Scholarship
- The Wayne and Anita Baldwin Scholarship
- Linda and Jim Collister Scholarship in Dolphin and Whale Research
- Joe Robinson HIMB Fellowship
- Peter Castro Travel Scholarship
How to Apply
This year, HIMB students will submit applications online via a Google Form. You must be logged on to the UH system to access the documents and to apply.
After you’ve reviewed the available scholarships and are ready to apply, submit your application. – HIMB Scholarship Application (Online Google Form)
Letter of Recommendation Instructions for HIMB Faculty
The letter of recommendation should be emailed to email@example.com. Deadline: October 6th, 11:59 pm.
Additional Information About the Joe Robinson Fellowship
The Joe Robinson Fellowship will provide research funding and professional development support for a graduate student in marine science working under the advisement of an HIMB faculty member. The student will conduct a research project and be mentored by Joe Robinson in marketing and communication skills, meeting 3-4 times during the year to collaborate. By the end of the 1-year fellowship period the student will complete a communication project that demonstrates a mastery of basic marketing tenets regarding themselves and their research.
$5,000 – $10,000
- Unofficial Transcript (w/ current and cumulative GPAs)
- Resume/CV (include current funding)
- Cover Letter (limit 500 words): include a summary of your statement of interest, brief description of your research project, statement of need, and an explanation as to how this specific scholarship would be utilized towards your research and career goals.
- Personal Statement (limit 1000 words): include a description of past and current activities and future goals related to both research and science communication.
- Research Statement (limit 1000 words): what your research project entails and its importance to science or management, include statement of need and what the funds would be used for.
- One Letter of Recommendation
- Please submit one PDF application to firstname.lastname@example.org by October 6, 2019, 11:59 p.m. HST.
- PDF applications should be named with this structure: “LastnameFirstInitial_RobinsonFellowship_Application_2019”
- PDF applications should be in the following order:
- Cover Letter
- Personal Statement
- Research Statement
- Letters of Recommendation should be emailed to email@example.com by the deadline with this file name structure: “LastnameFirstInitial_RobinsonFellowship_LOR_2019”