What a Mentor Wants to Know About a Potential Volunteer or Intern
Prepare the following information before reaching out to a potential HIMB mentor.
- Are you under 18?
- What is your current highest level of academic preparation?
- Current or most recent school, college, or university
- City and state/province/country of current or most recent school, college, or university
- Major field of study at current or most recent school, including any official minors, specializations, options, etc.
- Cumulative GPA
- Other schools or specialized programs: Feel free to list other schools, colleges or universities you have attended, their locations, any degrees you earned and major course of study you pursued while there
- Please state your interests and reasons for wanting to participate in research at HIMB. Include your long-term research and career goals, as well as the importance of HIMB as a location (one page maximum)
- Specific laboratory or field experience/skills that you are looking to acquire
- Requested length of research internship/volunteership
- Requested internship/volunteership start date
- Requested end date
- Number of hours per week available for internship/volunteership
- Days of the week you’re available
SKILLS & OTHER DETAILS
- Interested only in paid internships? (y/n)
- Prior laboratory and field experience or special skills
- [optional] scientific diving certified? If yes, please indicate UH or Other.
- Contact information for at least two referees who know you and your work. Include name, affiliation, position, email, phone number, and how the person knows you