All non-employees on HIMB property must fill out and email an electronic HIMB Waiver prior to arrival. Non-employees include: visitors, interns, volunteers, visiting researchers, non-employed University of Hawai’i undergraduates, graduates & post-docs.
We have separate forms for adults and minors that have been reviewed and approved by University Council.
Everyone must fill out the first section: 1) Consent, Waiver, Release, and Indemnity Agreement.
If staying overnight, fill out the: 2) Medical Consent Form, 3) Emergency Contact Information.
Please email completed forms to: email@example.com with the subject line: WAIVER. Completed forms are stored in a secure filing system.
- HIMB is not open to the public, trespassing is prohibited
- Sponsored visitors are not permitted in any research building unless escorted by HIMB sponsor or personnel.
- Children under 13 years of age are required by law to wear a life jacket while in or on the water. Life jacket requirements are outlined on the Island Life page.
- For safety reasons, we cannot accommodate children under 5 years of age on the island.
- When touring the facilities, do not touch or remove anything.
- Resource conservation is a priority at HIMB. Please conserve water and electricity.
- Please keep our facility clean and throw garbage in the dumpsters.
- ALWAYS use a dive flag when swimming or snorkeling. Do not touch or remove anything.
- Do not collect any aquatic life or use unauthorized fishing gear, unless you have a collecting permit. More information about collecting permits is available from the DLNR.
- The University maintains strict guidelines for acceptable computer use. File sharing is strictly prohibited. The Island Life page has more information.
- No smoking of any kind is allowed at HIMB, including electronic cigarettes.