Confocal Microscope Facilities
The HIMB Confocal Microscope Facility houses a Zeiss LSM 710 laser-scanning confocal microscope that is able to generate high-resolution images of fluorescent specimens. It is especially suited for live cell imaging of relatively thick samples (up to approximately 100 µM).
Its scanning unit has a spectral recycling loop, two sensitive PMT detectors, and a filter-free spectral separation module that can be continuously set over the entire wavelength range. It is equipped with lasers from violet to far red (405, 458, 488, 514, 561, and 633 nm excitation wavelengths).
It has a motorized stage capable of tiling, multi=point mark, and find memory function. Current stage holders will support slides, circular glass-bottom culture dishes, and well plates with glass coverslip bottoms. It is also equipped with an environmental chamber and full stage incubator for precise temperature and CO2 control.
The purchase of the Zeiss LSM 710 confocal microscope for HIMB was made possible by a generous donation from Pam Omidyar (financing provided through the School of Ocean and Earth Science and Technology).
The Zeiss LSM 710 Confocal Laser Scanning Microscope system has a multitude of functions for fluorescent imaging and analysis. Some of the features of this system include:
- Co-localization of fluorescent components
- Fluorescence intensity measurements for any region of intererst
- Z-sectioning of specimens for orthogonal and 3D analysis
- Time-lapse imaging of dynamic processes in living specimens
- Fluorescence Resonance Energy Transfer (FRET)
- Fluorescence Recover After Photobleaching (FRAP)
- Spectral imaging for the separation of overlapping emission spectra of specimens labeled with more than one fluorescent dye or expressing more than one innate fluorescent protein.
Objective Lenses Available
|Objective Lens||N.A.||W.D. (mm)||Coverslip thickness (mm)|
|Plan-Apochromat, 63X Oil DIC M27||1.4||0.19||0.17|
|C-Apochromat, 63X W Corr M27||1.2||0.28||0.17|
|EC Plan-NEOFLUAR, 40X Oil DIC||1.3||0.21||0.17|
|C-Apochromat, 40X W Corr M27||1.2||0.28||0.17|
|Plan-Apochromat, 20X M27||0.8||0.55||0.17|
|C-Apochromat, 10X W M27||0.45||1.8||0.17|
Reservation and Rates
The user fees are designed to help support the service contract in, in the future, to support remote use and educational outreach in conjunction with Pam Omidyar of the Omidyar Network. Fees will be billed to recharge accounts on a monthly basis. Bulk rates are available for those using the scope over 100 hours/year.
Outside investigators who would like to use the facility are welcome to do so for the same fee schedule; however, arrangements must be made for scheduling, billing, and payment prior to using the facility.
Certified Independent User
- Minimum charge of 1 hour
Scanning by a Technologist
- Minimum charge of 1 hour
- Confocal Facility Policies
- LSM 710 Operation Manual
- Coral Under Confocal video
- The Microscopic World of Corals video