Undergraduate & Graduate Opportunities
Undergraduate students may conduct research at HIMB in association with HIMB faculty. HIMB does not award undergraduate degrees, however, undergraduate students do participate in research projects. If you are interested in becoming a student at UH Mānoa, please contact the following departments for additional information:
Although HIMB does not have a formal undergraduate research internship program, individual faculty members may have space in their labs for undergraduate students.
Students who are interested in conducting research at HIMB should contact an HIMB faculty member whose research programs align with their interests. Faculty members who have an opportunity for undergraduates will be contact students directly for further information and/or an interview.
Please fill out the Undergraduate Research Questionnaire once you have found an appropriate program.
HIMB does not award graduate degrees, however, graduate students are able to be advised by HIMB faculty through one of the following graduate programs at UH Manoa:
- Marine Biology Graduate Program
- Oceanography Graduate Program
- Zoology Graduate Program
- Cell and Molecular Biology Graduate Program
- Molecular Biosciences and Bioengineering
- Microbiology Graduate Program
HIMB Student Scholarships
Each fall semester, applications are accepted from graduate and undergraduate students that are currently conducting research or working on lab projects under the direction of an HIMB faculty member.
The 2018 HIMB scholarship application period is open from September 10 – 30th. Applications period will close September 30th, 11:59 pm.
The scholarships & funds available this year include:
- Colonel Willys E. Lord, DVM and Sadina L. Lord Scholarship Fund
- Carol Ann and Myron K Hayashida HIMB Student Support
- Dr. Paul Jokiel Memorial Endowed Scholarship
- Alan Church Environmental Steward SOEST Scholarship
- The Wayne and Anita Baldwin Scholarship
- Marlin Atkinson Memorial Student Grant Fund
- Ashley Marie Smith Memorial Research Fund
- Peter Castro Travel Scholarship
How to Apply
This year, HIMB students will submit applications online via a Google Form. You must be logged on to the UH system to access the documents and to apply.
After you’ve reviewed the available scholarships and are ready to apply, submit your application. – HIMB Scholarship Application (Online Google Form)
Letter of Recommendation Instructions for HIMB Faculty
The letter of recommendation must be uploaded by the HIMB Faculty Member using this Google Form. Deadline: September 30th, 11:59 pm. – Submit a HIMB Letter of Recommendation (Online Google Form)